1. In charge of blood and vessels:
-Heart qi dominates and regulates blood circulating in the vessels, nourishing and moistening.
- Normal: heart Qi strong—coordination—regular heart beating—not fast, not slow.
- Abnormal: heart Qi weak—imbalance of y-y—irregular heart beating—loose nutrition—palpitation, fullness in chest, cardiac pain, purple lips, thread and choppy.
2.Heart houses mind:
Commanding whole physiological function of body governing whole mental activities of body.
- Broad mind—the master and general manifestation of human body’s activities;
- Narrow mind—indicating different mental activities including spirit, consciousness, thinking, emotion,and etc.
- Relations between “in charge of blood” and “houses mind”
that is what we called in CM heart is “organ of monarch”, “root of life”, “ master of five Zang and six Fu organs.
Heart is Yang organ characterized as smooth and clear.
>Situates in chest, pertains to fire, yang within yang.
>Promotes heart beat, warming whole body, keeps excitation of spirit.
>Free blood circulation is the root of heart vessels. Heart yang warming and promoting, heart yin keeping quiet and inhibition.
>Clear is the key to heart mind. Heart yang promoting and inspiring, heart yin keeping quiet and controlling.
Some relations between heart and other tissues and organs:
- constitution—vessels, manifestation on face
- opens to tongue (meridians , blood, taste, speech)
- emotion is enjoyment(normal stimulation)
- body fluid is sweating(heart blood, heart mind)
- blood and sweating have same origin
- fear consumes essence
- manifesting as sweating
- heart is communicating to summer